Sunday, December 21, 2008

No Speak-Ey Eng-Lay


After a long day at work, it turned out to be a pretty good night. I had Cornbread, Collard greens, white rice, pork roast, and a Sunkist Orange Soda. A complete meal to knockout a champion like myself! I know you may have read my title and said, “What the heck is this black guy talking about?!?!?!” Creative title I know! When I write I see the world in a different way at times. My question is…How come as Americans, must we speak louder, pronunciate our words to the fullest, and slow our dialogue down when speaking to foreigners?


Talking like that makes it seem like they are little children. Of course if one of them asked for directions you wouldn’t to say, “First bust a lefty at the cornerizzle, then you gonna see a red stop sign right thurr…….Naw’Sayin….so you gon’ want to pump them brakes son!” LoL! Most of us would be confused we heard some directions like that. I saw a family with an exchange student the other day at Starbucks. All the family members were speaking in a normal tone to each other, and then as soon as they turned to ask the Asian exchange student a question, the volume turned up like 15 notches. Really is it that necessary to turn up the volume when asking her what drink she wanted?!?!? I know I’m notorious for it sometimes when I try to help the Spanish speaking customers pay a bill. “Do YOU WANT TO PAY BILL?” I don’t mean for it to come out that way but sometimes it just happens. Chris Tucker even does it in Rush Hour, “DO YOU UNDERSTAND THE WORDS THAT ARE COMING OUT OF MY MOUTH?” Jackie Chan even reversed the role on him by saying the same thing. It’s funny how the people of the world operate and it is even funnier when you notice the little things!

It was just something I noticed that I wanted to share with ya’ll!!!!!!

No comments: