Sunday, October 25, 2009

Cook Thomas




Going through my random Artist search online, I came across another artist from the North. Representing the T-Dot (Toronto, Canada), Cook Thomas is definitely an artist you want to watch out for. Currently working on his upcoming mixtape Forever & Ever, Cook Thomas is releasing music every week that is just straight Fiyaaahhhh!!!!! With tracks like “No Parachute,” “It’s Time,” “Gimmick,” “Big Amounts,” & “96 Chicago Bulls,” people are finally finding out what the entire buzz is about. Checkout the interview, then go checkout Cook Thomas at http://www.youtube.com/user/CTHOMASTV & www.myspace.com/cookthomasmusic


Mr. Bess: Who is Cook Thomas?

Cook Thomas: Cook Thomas is a rap artist who makes the food the people need. Rap music in my opinion has been boring in the past 5 years, so I’m just bringing some good classic honest music to the table.

Mr. Bess: When did you start rapping?
Cook Thomas: I started rapping when I was 16.

Mr. Bess: Did you have a good life or a bad life growing up? How has that influenced your music?
Cook Thomas: I can’t really complain about my life growing up. Even though I only had my mom around and the conditions of living weren’t the best, she worked hard so we didn’t suffer. I always had food and a roof over my head so I can’t complain.

Mr. Bess: Who are some of musical influences?

Cook Thomas: some of my musical influences are Notorious B.I.G, Nas, Lenny Kravitz, and Jay-Z

Mr. Bess: What set’s you apart from other rappers trying to make name in the game?

Cook Thomas: What sets me apart from 85 % of these guys is that I’m actually trying to talk about honest things in everyday life. When I write, I try and bring a message, a concept and something refreshing. Every time I hear a new song its “swag this swag that”, “I Got Money”, “I wear Louis, Gucci”, “I Got Hoes”. Don’t get me wrong I love all those things and have fun with them myself, but when all your songs are about the same shit, it gets boring for all of us, and that’s what seems to be the problem to me right now. Shit is real generic.

Mr. Bess: Is there an album or mixtape in the works?

Cook Thomas: I have a mixtape in the works currently titled Forever & Ever.

Mr. Bess: When is the release date for the mixtape and what can we expect from it?

Cook Thomas: I’m looking to drop around Christmas time, but I record on a daily basis and leak songs on a weekly basis, so you can check YouTube at CTHOMASTV and www.Myspace.com/cookthomasmusic for my music.


Mr. Bess: So you sing and rap?

Cook Thomas: I’m more of a shower singer LOL! I usually have problems with singers taking too long to record a hook, so I just do it myself. I’m not trying to be a singer or trying to get better in that field, sometimes it just helps portray the story of the track better or the beat might have a certain feel to where I’ll sing something on it. For example I sing on a song I have called ’96 Chicago bulls. I’m singing low because I can’t hit high notes. I am NO singer.

Mr. Bess: The west coast has been dominate, the east coast has been dominate, and the south. What will it take for the north to have that same kind of dominance?

Cook Thomas: In order for the north to dominate, we’ll need to come together and support each other. Here its like producers want to charge an arm and a leg for a beat to an up and coming young rapper, then you have a circle of people who make a little noise in the city, but they don’t want to help anyone else, because they feel bigger than they really are. Also I feel we don’t have enough talented people at the front reppin’ us. The north has a lot of talented people and it’s just the politics are bullshit so the world gets to see bullshit artists…so we look corny. If we can change those things, we can definitely take over.

Mr. Bess: What is the Canadian hip hop scene like?

Cook Thomas: The Canadian hip hop scene is very underground. Like I said before, there’s a lot of talent here, we’re just working for our dominance.

Mr. Bess: Out of the Dominate mainstream artist who have made it out of Canada such as Drake, K-OS, Kardinal Offishall, and Swollen Members. Who do you see yourself working with?

Cook Thomas: I would say K-OS because he has a sound that is so unique. He switches from hip hop to rock to pop, so I feel like that would be an interesting collaboration.

Mr. Bess: Everyone gets asked this question, but name 5 albums everyone should own?

Cook Thomas: Jay-Z – The Blueprint / Lil Wayne – Tha Carter 2 / Nas – Illmatic / Michael Jackson – Thriller / Notorious B.I.G – Ready To Die

Mr. Bess: What is your music making process?

Cook Thomas: I usually just listen to some beats, then write based off the feeling and vibe I get from the beat. Anything I write about is usually real rap, so the process is usually real easy.

Mr. Bess: What can we expect from Cook Thomas in the future?
Cook Thomas: You can expect tons more music and some music videos in the near future.

Mr. Bess: What is the message you have for the world in your music?

Cook Thomas: My message is basically my life story. I’m just being true to myself and the world.




No comments: